Saturday, November 28, 2009

Days 9 thru 11 - Living the Life of an Aussie: Wollongong Edition


Adayna and I both awoke around 7 a.m. in Trez’s hometown of Wollongong, a beachfront city located 40 minutes south of Sydney. Trez had to work so Adayna and I had some time to ourselves. We managed to secure an internet connection (clearly not long enough to blog, sorry guys) to check email and upcoming itineraries/activities. For the next couple of days we did the small town thing. Grocery shopped, bar-hopped, sat on the couch (my least favorite activity), walked to the beach and caught up with Trez. I enjoyed just relaxing and doing nothing. It doesn’t take much for me to enjoy myself whether it is going hard for days or doing nothing for days. I am content. Unfortunately, I am traveling with someone who thinks a vacation means days filled with activities. I’m sure we are to have issues over the coming years with this one.


I can appreciate laying low, but sitting in front of the TV while in Australia was just not for me. I can understand the occasional TV-watching when you are in a hotel, but to make a day out of watching TV is not the first thing I’d choose to do when I have Australia in my backyard. So, while Travis and Trez caught up on American sports, I ventured out into Wollongong, walking into town and hitting the beach as much as I could. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed some of the other activities held at the Chez Trez premises, like the occasional barbecue and hanging out sessions.


For some reason I was not excited about the beach during this trip. From my days of beach vacations to living in Myrtle Beach, I wasn’t very interested in spending much time on the sand. Still unsure why. Perhaps my 7-year stint in the rain has made me allergic. I’ll have to rid myself of that illness soon. Word. Start medicating. :)


While in the Gong, we hit a couple of watering holes which are nothing like the ones back home. The music, crowd and expensive-ass drinks made for short stints at these places. I asked for a Manhattan at one spot and they had the nerve to want to charge me $14. Crazy! I settled for cheap vodka and don't ask me what kind. All I know is that Captain Cook was on the bottle. (Fun Fact: Captain James Cook was the first to land in Eastern Australia and claimed the land for Great Britain.) When not checking out the food and bar scene, we took in local sights like Mt. Keira. And, no Aussie vacation is complete without a game of Rugby at the beach. I tried to do my thing. Although, rushing to get in 6 tags way before reaching the end zone didn't seem like an ideal strategy, but what do I know. I must say Adayna did well in her international Rugby debut.


Getting to know Trez and Travis through Trez has been a trip. These two are non-stop comedy sometimes. Doing so from Wollongong and not from Sydney or Melbourne afforded me a true Australian experience. Thank you Trez! We are still thinking about where to go next. Will it be New Zealand, Melbourne or back to Queensland? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment