Thursday, November 19, 2009

Days 5 & 6 - Finding Nemo

Today was less action packed. We had a 3 p.m. flight out of Sydney to Cairns which precluded us from any real sightseeing or touring before departing. (Yes folks that means still no Bondi.) We packed, went to the Queen Victoria Building (aka the Mall), talked with a travel agent about New Zealand and still didn’t book our trip to New Zealand. We were frustrated, each needing some air space from the other, but were looking forward to Cairns.


Our flight to Cairns was mostly smooth. I wasn’t fond of the descent; the plane twisted and turned, setting itself up for the landing. (Ooh, there’s land! Wait, land where are you going? Ocean and more ocean. Where is this plane landing exactly?) Basically what happened was that the plane approached its landing from the ocean lending us this spectacular view of mountains and the Coral Sea. While I was uneasy, I think Adayna liked it. Once safe and on the ground we grabbed our bags and awaited the Bay Village Tropical Resort shuttle.


Our hotel was quaint and a great deal. It’s courtyard was full of tropical trees. I think there were even platanos growing there. It’s been confirmed they do grow in Oz land. We checked in and headed straight to Cairns’ Esplanade. The Esplanade hugged the coast and led to Cairns’ Lagoon Swimming Pool. You see the coast in Cairns is an inviting sight, but the crocodiles in it are not so inviting. You can swim in the northern Cairns’ beaches and south of Cairns, but signs discourage swimming along the Esplanade. Perhaps the Aboriginal people know something I don’t because I saw small children playing off shore and no crocodiles in sight. The Lagoon Swimming Pool is very nice and solves the need for a quick swim and sun kissed tan. Restaurants and shops are lined up across the Esplanade. Picture Miami with more lush trees and exotic birds, but minus the fake people and the high rises. I was in love. It wasn’t Myrtle Beach either. :)


I was set on hitting one of the world’s 7 wonders - the Great Barrier Reef - while in Queensland (the territory in which Cairns sits). Travis had previously suggested he’d accompany me on the boat, but not snorkel. I was okay with that. I’m uncomfortable every time I snorkel and this wasn’t just any coral reef, this was the greatest there is. Long story short, Travis ended up nursing his handgliding induced cold and his wussy self while I braved the seas to find Nemo. I really wanted to go. Such a lie. But, handgliding is a dangerous sport. To come out of it with only a cold was a miracle. Besides, I’ve never seen Finding Nemo anyways. At 7 a.m., I left Mr. Sniffleapagus back at the hotel and headed to the marina. I was ready for a good day. I boarded the Reef Quest and enjoyed my 1.5 hour ride out to sea while reading and trying to discern what the Danish couple to my left and the French couple to my right spoke of. Once out at the reef, I donned my wet suit, my flippers and one of those reliable floating donuts. I’m brave, but not stupid. Actually, I was brave right up until reaching the platform from which I was to launch my reef-ploration. I knew right away I’d be climbing down the ladder and not diving like the locos beside me. They weren’t all locos though. Among them was Simon, my English snorkel-saviour/Reef Quest guide. I expressed my desire to find Nemo, but also my concern of drowning. He did what any snorkel-saviour would do. He passed me a floating device which I held on to and he tied to his waist. There was no way these waters were going to pull me away from Simon and so we went. Simon took me here and there pointing out all kinds of fish. I snapped picture after picture of the most amazing coral. The textures and colors are indescribable. There were dotted fish and striped fish. Truly the most intense snorkeling experience I’ve ever had. I even saw 2 sea turtles! Only finding Nemo could have matched this mermaid’s dream. We’ll just by one for the tank.


I eventually swam back to the boat and then proceeded to hurl. I hadn’t felt seasick or anything before snorkeling. I believe it was my nerves. I just snorkeled the mighty Great Barrier Reef! I may have been nervous, intimidated and queasy, but I did it! That checks off another world wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment