Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 8 - Departing Queensland so reFRESHed and so CLEAN...

The next morning Adayna and I ate breakfast and were picked up by her former colleague and friend during her American Express days - Mike. Mike and I go way back. I worked at Amex for 3 years after undergrad and it was during that time I worked with Mike who was based out of Phoenix, Arizona. I remember our many work calls. They were so easy going. I was quite the newbie and so there was much to learn from Mike given his time with Amex. Our working relationship transitioned to a friendship after my many trips to Phoenix.


Our first stop on the agenda was Kuranda. Kuranda is a village high in the hills in the midst of a rainforest. I think it’s part of the Daintree Rainforest but I can’t remember. As we drove up this long windy road, I didn’t say (umm, you did tell us) but I was hoping to a spot a kangaroo, koala and/or a cassowary dangle from a tree or dart past the car. (Note to Travis only koala’s dangle from trees.) It is so hard to narrate when you have your own spokesperson sitting next to you. I digress, it’s been a few days now and I’m itching to see these exotic threesome. Once reaching the top, there was a collection of farmers market-like stands and aboriginal boutiques filled with arts and crafts and native artifacts. I fortunately found a couple of mementos during this stop. Though it was quite muggy, I enjoyed the visit in Kuranda and looked forward to the rest of the day.


Kuranda is a dream for people who love shopping in small villages and walking through different markets. I sure contributed to its prosperity by grabbing what looked to be an aboriginal dress, some jewelry and a few other knick knacks at the aboriginal arts store. Folks, I’m saddened to say that my dress was made in India so there goes that. No village shopping spree is complete without a bit of homemade ice cream which Mike so kindly treated us too. After some Kuranda strolling, we headed out to Palm Cove for some lunch and a couples massage!


Palm Cove was what I envisioned - a beachfront getaway filled with spas, restaurants and boutique hotels. It reminded me of a private Miami beach strip, but on a much smaller scale and with more picturesque views. We had lunch at one of the outdoor establishments and talked before the much awaited spa appointment. Mike left us for a couple of hours while we went on our mission to rejuvenate.

Palm Cove is truly beautiful and Travis and I knew we wanted to hit it up given it’s status as Spa Capital of Australia. I didn’t get a chance to take a dip in the water - something that is always top of mind for me - but I enjoyed it nonetheless. After lunch, we headed to the Reef Sebel where 2 young ladies greeted us. We slipped into spa robes and patiently waited for the commencement of our 45-minute couples massage. Our massage was part Swedish, part Deep Tissue and part some Aboriginal-thing that I cannot remember. I think the technique was called kodo. Either way, they worked us out well. So well Travis fell asleep during his massage. I think we all know that’s a good sign given that massages are meant to relax you. Although we are talking about Travis now...he loves his sleep! The spa, massages and Palm Cove trio was a great way to finish off our stay in Queensland. Of course, spending some time with an old friend in what I’ve deemed to be the furthest place on earth (Australia) did the job too.


After the spa, Mike showed us the area; passing through the town of Port Douglas, stopping in a field to take pictures of dozens of wallabies lounging in an open field during the early evening hours, (Wallabies and kangaroos come out to play during this time because the temperature cools) and showing us his home; And it was a very nice pad may I add. I could tell Adayna was impressed with the landscape. I’m hopeful she’ll want a home with a big backyard too instead of the big city. We shall see... Thankfully the NYC-metro area is so diverse that you could own a home with a big backyard but near the big city. He’ll see in due time.


From there, Mike dropped us off at the Cairns airport. I was sad to leave the land of Queens behind us, but off to New South Wales we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment