Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 7 - Our Tropical Paradise

For those of you wondering, I feel much better today, but I do regret not witnessing my baby girl snorkel yesterday. Nevertheless today is a new day and I am looking forward to our day in the rainforest. The day began at 6:30 a.m.. We packed for the day’s activities, ate breakfast and were then picked up by our tour guide. Finn, a hippie Aussie, ushered us onto his 4WD outback tour bus and we were on our way.


Our Billy Tea Rainforest Safari tour consisted of several stops. There was the Daintree River Cruise where high-tide kept us from seeing some friendly crocodiles. Then, our walk through the Daintree Rainforest where probability was not on our side keeping us from the infamous Cassowaries, an almost extinct bird that can match my height and kick butt if it feels threatened. Afterwards, we were taken to our own little private BBQ at a place in the rainforest with wallaby’s and kangaroos for pets. I managed to pet my hopping friends and even fed a wallaby.


After our BBQ, Finn took us to Emmagen Creek where we tasted tropical fruits, like the Black Zapote, and dipped into its fresh waters. I can’t remember the other fruits by name, but I remember the tastes and colors. There was one with a deep purple hue and another that looked like a pineapple but tasted like apple custard. Our stay at Emmagen Creek culminated with a tasty cup of Billy’s Tea, brewed at the creek in an iron casket and given an Aboriginal-style sifting (imagine your arm moving in a large circular motion with a 40lbs iron cast attached.)


Next up was Cape Tribulation, where the Daintree Rainforest meets the Great Barrier Reef. It is absolutely beautiful. The water is crystal clear, blue as can be and still. Of course, the stupid jellyfish situation prevented me from going for a swim so I could only appreciate the water from my ankles down. All in all, Finn did a great job teaching us about different birds and plant life. I can just picture him living in nature, smoking up a joint with his Congolese wife, listening to Bob Marley and eating off of the land. I really liked Finn. On several occasions, he would separate from the others to chat with us and give a more descriptive narrative of the terrain. I think he was really feeling his “brown” tourist. The topics ranged from Aboriginal history, botany, and opinions regarding the current state of our world. I could tell his time in this tropical paradise has greatly influenced his perspective. Though I prefer a slightly more positive forecast, I can appreciate his passion for nature preservation, world peace, and a return to communal care and responsibility. The idea that I could live off the land, be void of global strife, and absent of fear mongers is very appealing. Perhaps one day I, too, will find that paradise. Hint hint..Adayna :)


After our nature fun-filled day we headed back to Cairns and geared up for our own little BBQ at the Esplanade. We just couldn’t pass up grilling under the open sky while enjoying the sea breeze and occasional visit from feathered-friends. Don’t let Adayna fool you. She was scared and ran the birds away. We picked up some steak, potatoes and Barramundi fish and headed for the beach. Our BBQ station was surrounded by backpackers from around the world. France, Ukraine, Japan and Canada to name a few. I kind of wish I backpacked the world right after college. Our night of barbecuing and chatting up the backpackers was lovely. Reminded me that there is little one needs to be truly happy and to survive. A good meal, a loving companion, a place to lay your head, open sky and let’s not forget a warm summer night, are all you truly need to smile inside and out. Like I said before, I am in love with Queensland.


Tonight was a fitting end to an amazing day. It couldn’t have been better. Now off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. hi guys! just wanted to drop a quick note. i am really diggin this blog you two are doing, especially the back and forth in different color text. it's like i can actually hear you two talking. i hope your travels continue to be amazingly fun and more importantly, safe!

    - Linda

    ReplyDelete