Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 4 - Cancel All Plans. I Believe I Can Fly!!

Today I awakened to the sounds of Rugby and a phone call that set the stage for my day. On the other end was a gentleman I met 3 weeks ago in Seattle during his visit with an Aussie Inlandboatmen Delegation. Gavin called the day before to touch base and inform me of a flight festival that was taking place in Stanwell Park, 45 minutes south of Sydney. It was at this time I learned that today was the best day to join him and his mates for a day in the sky. Unaware about where I was going, how I would get there, how long it would take, and if Adayna and Trez would oblige, I decided to make my pitch. Upon consultation, mixed with a little persuasion, those two came on board. Yes, we were on our way.

I awakened before 7am (like clockwork) and immediately started to think about what Sydney had in store for us today. It seemed only logical that this day we’d venture into Sydney’s waters. I had heard double T whisper about a jet boat trip days before. Also, fellow Aussies and my trusty Lonely Planet suggested a day trip to either Bondi or Manly beaches, two of the more renowned in the Sydney area. We were all game, until the phone call and so just like that we were on our way to Stanwell Park. I will admit I was a bit bummed that my beach day had dissipated into thin air, but the boy had a dream and I was surely going to support him. Little did I know his desire to handglide off of Bald Hill would lead to a great time for me too.


During the 1-hour train ride, I had mixed emotions. I was excited about the mission, but also tempered because of a potential weather change and my self-induced fear. Gavin’s fiancee awaited our arrival. She seemed very nice. We arrived at Bald Hill, one of the most picturesque locales I’ve ever seen. Blue skies, blue water, high cliffs, white sand and happy people (except for me). Upon greeting Gavin, I then knew that this was for real. Approximately 20 minutes later, I met my tandem guide, Chris. He has over 30 years of handgliding experience and is Gavin’s instructor. I figured if Gavin was a pro, then his instructor was an all-star. From the time I arrived to just moments before take-off (aka diving off a cliff!), I was void of any nervousness. I was only concerned that Adayna would pass out while amongst complete strangers. Chris gave me simple do’s and dont’s and we were ready for take off.


Those final 4 steps approaching the edge of the cliff felt as if they were happening in slow-motion. To see the massive cliff, ocean, beach and tiny people below was an experience I’ll never forget. We were quickly lifted into the sky and were on our way. To be strapped onto a kite, feeling small bumps of turbulence, with an expert in tow was so reminiscent of those dreams I had about flying. It seemed so simple. Engaged in conversation throughout this 30-minute flight I flew over forest, beach and an ocean-front highway. To experience such a beautiful place from so high above gave me an even greater appreciation for earth’s beauty and man’s innovation. To have taken my first flight at Bald Hill, the world’s most popular handgliding destination had me floating on Cloud 9.


While Travis took to the skies, I cried. I cried a good “God please let him float up into the sky and land smoothly feet first” kind-of-cry. I thought I’d cry for the entire duration of his flight, but once I saw he was up, up and away I stopped. While he flew, I waited like a proud mama down below. I wanted to make sure I captured this once-in-a-lifetime landing. I beamed as greatly as he did for I could not believe the sight before my eyes. Before his takeoff, I took picture after picture, ensuring no Kodak moment was missed. What was supposed to be a Bondi-beach day turned into Travis living out a lifelong dream. We created memories with new Aussie friends and enjoyed beautiful Aussie sights. Flying, picnicking and dining while overlooking the ocean in Scarborough. Even the dolphins came out to greet us from afar. Can’t get any better than this. I second that.

1 comment: